Thursday, August 10, 2006

neither rain, nor snow, nor gloom of night, . . .

will keep the post office from hiring ninnies.

We hadn't seen our mail for three days. We always have some kind of mail. Usually junk, but something. So it was just really strange to have an empty mailbox. I thought maybe the carrier misdelivered our mail (not good), but that someone would drop it off to us. Didn't happen. So I decided I would look into it a little more and go on down to the local post office. Following is the basic conversation (I'm quoting, but I'm not positive on the wording...)

"Hi, I haven't seen our mail for three days and was wondering if maybe it's on vacation hold."
"Oh, are you in the business park? They have a new carrier." (This wasn't comforting just in itself.)
"No."
"What's your address."
I give it to him. He also asks for my name, and off he goes.
He eventually comes out with an armful of mail.
"So why was our mail on hold?" I ask him.
"You requested that it be put on vacation hold."
"May I see that, please?"
He whips out a piece of paper.
"This is a request from our last vacation." I say as I point out the dates on the paper -- July 18 to July 21.
He just stares at the paper blankly, then at me.
"So the vacation hold is cancelled now?"
"Yeah."
I pick up my mail and walk out.

So help me out here. How do you get August 8 through presumably August 11 when the paper clearly says July 18 to July 21? (By the way, we were wondering why our mail was being delivered during our vacation in July, which luckily, our neighbors were so kind to pick up for us.)

I can only shake my head in disbelief.

4 comments:

TranquillicFlow said...

7/18 - 7/21
8/08 - 8/11

See the pattern? Add month by 1 and subtract the first digit of the day by 1.

How did you request the vacation hold?

WhiteRabbit said...

I can almost believe that except that they have to really think about it since the piece of paper the clerk showed my said "July 18 through July 21" (or it may have been "Start July 18"...) Either way, the date was spelled out, so they have to be really smart to be so dumb. Maybe the carrier has a list done numerically? Nah.

We went online to have the mail held. I shoulda asked the clerk for that hold request. Now that I think about it, it's probably the same as the 'receipt' that you can print to verify your request...

Destiny said...

Blah. I missed my Friend church magazine! Argg to the post office!

Aoi Sakura said...

No EagleCat, that was from when we were on vacation and they did bring the mail. Not from when they held it!