Thursday, November 11, 2010

Can you spell "hypocrite?"

Maybe it starts with a "C," as in C-H-A-F-F-E-T-Z.  In this story, Representative Chaffetz (R-Utah) says that "we're paying too many people too much money," and said that the number of federal workers who make more than $150,000 has doubled since President Obama took office.  (NOTE: Actually, I'm not sure that's factual.  I need to check another article I saw that I thought said it's doubled in the last 5 years.  I'll edit when I find out more, but I'll assume he's correct since he should know.)  He also said that federal workers' pay should be frozen, if not cut 10%.

So to me, that sounds like anyone on the federal payroll making $150,000/yr should get their pay cut 10%, right?  How much is his salary?  $174,000.  So he'll gladly accept a pay cut, right?

According to the article in the Deseret News, "When asked whether $174,000 is too much, Chaffetz pointed instead to the overall congressional budget and said it needs to be revamped."  Way to skirt the question there hypocrite Representative Chaffetz.  At least he works for Utah (I think).  I'd hate to be "the other guy" that gets his pay cut.

No comments: