Thursday, December 21, 2006

So close, and yet, so far.

Yesterday, after work, I stopped by the Wal-Mart near my office. Just jokingly, I asked the clerk where all the Wii's were. She said that they'd be getting some in today at 10am! I knew my friend was looking for one, so I told him that in our carpool this morning. He said that his kids already have too much, but okay, it would be cool to have one, so he'd go over with me at 10. (Wait, did I want one? Was I going? Oh, yeah, why not...)

So after my meeting, we drove over to the Wal-Mart and started getting really excited when we saw a guy walk past us with a Wii in a bag! The hunt was on! Then we got to the electronics department where there was a fairly short line, and where the clerk was handing them out. S-l-o-w-l-y... One by painfully slow one, we moved up closer to the front. My friend was getting really excited. And then it happened! Three people before we got there, they ran out!

So my friend goes into the classic phases of an unrequited Christmas present. "Oh, well. I didn't really want one anyway," and then to "If I wasn't playing with my cell phone, we could've been there early enough!" I'm now waiting for the "Oh, who wants one of those things anyway" phase.

Updates as they occur...

3 comments:

medinterp said...

And I must ask what you would have done if you got through the line and accually bought one?? As I know Alison and I don't think she would have been as excited as your friend to be the proud new owner of a wii :) Have fun with the kind of games that are made from board, placed on a table that the entire family can sit around and play together :)

WhiteRabbit said...

Hmm... I think you've been talking to Alison just way too much! :)

But since this is all hypothetical anyway, let's see...
1) I could've sold it on ebay for a good profit -- see this auction. FYI, the list price is $250.
2) I could've sold it at work to some video game nuts for a good profit (see above).
3) I could've just taken it home, gotten my exercise, and destroyed some appliances or given myself some injuries. Naahhh... I think I'll just break out the ol' blokus board and go to the gym for my exercise.

Thanks for your concern. :)

medinterp said...

All good plans of action... a good profit is wonderful justifacation for any buy. Thank God for EBay! how ever did anyone live before you could go and buy what ever your hearts desire with one click (or several) of a mouse :) :) :)
Blokus that is the best answer to any question....
Well Happy Gaming :)
Med